The firm has advised several multinational and Bangladeshi companies in the area of healthcare, food and pharmaceutical. The firm has experience, in-depth knowledge and understanding of the legal and regulatory framework relating to legislations dealing with healthcare, food and pharmaceutical industry including prevention of food adulteration legislation.
We offer comprehensive service to clients on introduction, import and marketing of Generic and New Drugs including bulk drugs in the Bangladesh market. We have also undertaken various issues arising out of international treaties such as Declaration of Helsinki, Good Clinical Practice guidelines and the Agreement on Trade Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights especially Article 39.3 concerning interpretation of data exclusivity/ protection.
The firm has extensive experience in advising and providing legal assistance on agreements relating to manufacturing, marketing, import, sponsorship of drugs (generic and non-generic drugs including herbal medicines), regulatory approvals from relevant statutory authorities, approvals and compliances in relation to clinical trials; intellectual property protection and registration such as Patents, Trademarks etc. and agreements relating to licensing of know-how etc., labeling and packaging guidelines, issues relating to food adulteration, advisory to Hospitals and World Class Health Institutions in structuring their businesses in cross border jurisdictions; advisory and assistance in corporate commercial issues including company incorporation, joint venture partnerships, acquisitions etc. and structuring of Foreign Investment and related regulatory approvals.
Some major matters undertaken are as follows:
- Acted for Associated British Foods in structuring its large scale FDI in food sector
- Acted for PepsiCo for its large scale FDI in food sector under joint venture
- Acted for Yum Brands for its technology licensing for brands like KFC, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell etc.
- Acted as Buyer’s Counsel in JAFPA acquisition of a large agro copany in Bangladesh
- Acted as Buyer’s Counsel in Gulf Pharmaceuticals Ltd. acquisition of RAK Pharmaceuticals
- Acted as Buyer’s Counsel in GlaxoSmithKiline acquisition of Paras Pharmaceuticals
- Acted as Buyer’s Counsel in Sun Pharmaceuticals acquisition by Ranbaxy
- Acted for Hetero Drugs in potential joint venture for cancer medicines
- Acted for SC Johnson for its FDI in Herbal Medicare Plant
- Acted for Renata for its FDI in Herbal Medicare Plant
- Colgate Palmolive: Advised with respect to setting up a JV plant for producing oral care products
- Advised BHF-BANK Aktiengesellschaft (ECA Backed – Hermes) as Lender's Counsel in financing of Beximco Pharmaceuticals
- Advised BHF-BANK Aktiengesellschaft as Lender's Counsel in financing of Orion Pharmaceuticals
- Novartis: Advised on licensing and importation of certain drugs in Bangladesh
- Novo Nordisk: Advised on licensing and importation of certain drugs in Bangladesh
- Raffles Hospital: Advised with respect to its set up of a healthcare center in Bangladesh
- UN: Acted as Bangladesh counsel in UN’s Mobile Health Project
- Merck: Acted in a PPP project involving marketing and promotion of Implanon and relevant services
- MSF (Doctors without Border): Advised on certain aspects of conducts and compliances by its doctors